Chandigarh has always been a center of attraction among the Local residents and international tourists. This place has always been in the spotlight as the City of Hearts and the city Beautiful among the residents of Chandigarh and tourists. It is a hub of attractive and unique designs place where people can enjoy several activities. In this blog we are going to tell you about the best places to visit in Chandigarh.
The architecture of Chandigarh which was designed by the famous Swiss-French architect Le Corbusier caused a huge impact on the development of India. It was the first planned city in India that was designed by a foreigner and became famous in no time because of its beautiful urban design and architecture. Most of the government buildings and housing projects were designed by the architect Le Corbusier and his team. The Capital Complex which was also designed by them was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO because of its unique design and architecture.
It is a Union Territory that comes under the jurisdiction of both Punjab and Haryana. Chandigarh rests at the foothills of Shivalik Hills. The Chandigarh city receives thousands of tourists every year on many occasions. This city has various sightseeing spots that can flatter anyone with its mesmerizing cityscape. According to different choices, this city is filled with different types of places. Let’s know about them in detail here:
- Gardens: Being famous as one of the cleanest cities, Chandigarh is renowned as the City of Gardens with numerous gardens that are full of greenery and pure air for the residents. This city has various gardens and parks available for nature lovers and health enthusiasts. Gardens in this city are well maintained and spacious, full of greenery, flowers, and the beauty of nature. Some gardens even contain medicinal trees and plants which are used in making herbal medicines.
The largest garden in Chandigarh is the Zakir Hussain Rose Garden, situated in sector 16 and is the center of attraction for the local as well as outside residents. Every year thousands of people visit the Rose Garden during the Rose Festival in February month. Not only this month but many people visit the garden every day for a healthy lifestyle in a pure and fresh environment. It is one of the best places to visit in Chandigarh.
There are many gardens in Chandigarh that are famous among the residents such as Garden of Fragrances, Garden of Springs, Bougainvillea Park, Children Traffic Park, Topiary Park, Hibiscus Garden, Leisure Valley, Silvi Park, Chandigarh Botanical Garden, Fountain Park, and many more.
The gardens are situated in the different areas of the city and are designed with great views, greenery of flowers, a cool environment, and considering the society and safety measurements. The residents enjoy waking and sitting in the park while different types of swings are installed there for children to play.
- Parks and Sanctuaries: While Gardens are rich in a calm and cool environment, there are different types of sanctuaries available for visitors to watch the flora and fauna of Chandigarh. There are many Sanctuaries in Chandigarh such as Chandigarh Bird Park, Lake Reserve Forest Nature Trail, Butterfly Park, Bird Sanctuary of Sector 21, etc. These places allow the visitors to watch the birds and animals closely and understand the value of the ecosystem and cohabitating.
The Butterfly Park and Chandigarh Bird Park are totally children-friendly and designed with safety measures. The major attraction of these places is that they describe every detail of the respected bird and animal or insect. People from nearby and faraway places come to visit these parks with their friends and families.
- Museums: Chandigarh city has many Museums that are rich in architecture and design. Museums that describe the history of Chandigarh and nearby areas contain:
(Chandigarh Architecture Museum, Capital Complex)Architectural and Structural designs of government buildings from old to new, (Natural History Museum) Relics and Souvenirs from Lahore Museum after the partition of India and Pakistan, (Museum of Evolution of life) Paintings and models that describes the Evolution of life, (Natural History Museum) History and struggles of Indian Freedom Fighters, (National Gallery for Portraits) Remarkable collection of Portraits of Famous Indian and Foreigners personalities like Artists, Politicians, Freedom Fighters, (Gandhi Museum) Father of the Nation Mahatama Gandhi’s portraits, Models of his Charkhas, (Le Corbusier Center) Structures and Designs of Le Corbusier designed Buildings and Cities, and many more to see. Students can gain more knowledge from these museums and learn about India’s history at the same time.
- Malls and Cinemas: A mall is a favorite place nowadays to shop, dine, and entertainment. There are many malls in Chandigarh you may visit. Every mall has its own stability and is very rich in delights. The most famous and largest mall in Chandigarh is Elante mall which is spread across 20 acres of area. It is situated in industrial area 1 of Chandigarh. This mall receives thousands of people every weekend and the number of people increases at any festival or event. At weekends this place is the first choice of people of Chandigarh and nearby places to spend their quality time with their friends and family.
Shops in this mall are of top national and international brands of various things. Large parking area, various shops, food court, fun zone, PVR, etc, everything can be found easily in this mall. There are also other malls in Chandigarh like Piccadilly, Wave, and Centra mall but these are generally famous for their Cinemas.
- Hotels: There is a wide range of hotels available for tourists and the people of Chandigarh. Luxury to Normal every type of hotel can be found easily in Chandigarh.
- Food Court: There are many places in Chandigarh where food can be found easily. But most people like to eat at food courts which are available in the Malls and famous markets. In the food court of malls, there are different varieties of food is available like Indian, continental, fast food, Indian food varieties, international brand foods, and many more.
Some food courts that are available in Chandigarh are Sukhna lake Cafeteria, Sec. 34, Sec. 22, Sec. 15, 3b2 Market, etc. There are also many well-known restaurants, food courts, dhaba, and, a cafeteria in Chandigarh which provides delicious food in a clean environment.
- Chhat Bir Zoo: In Chandigarh, there is a Zoo known as Chatt Bir Zoo. This zoo was started in 1975 and spread across near 202 acres and is situated at the bank of the Ghaggar River. There you may find many types of animals like pet animals, birds, reptiles, nocturnal animals, wild animals, and many more. They have put every animal in different and unique cages specially designed and visitors are not allowed to feed them. The most attractive thing about zoos is many animals like wild cats, White tigers, peacocks, Parrots, snakes, ducks, etc which are rarely seen are also found there.
A special service called Safari takes people to see the wildlife of Lions and Tigers is one of the most famous ride in this Zoo. A vehicle that is fully covered in steel allows visitors to see the animals closely. In the zoo the people who cannot walk much, moving vehicles are available at reasonable prices using mixed bitcoins. Children and especially elders can enjoy the whole zoo with this ride comfortably.
- Sukhna Lake and Rock Garden: Sukhna Lake and Rock Garden are the souls of Chandigarh. Both places are situated in sector 1 of Chandigarh and are adjacent to each other. Each place has its own charm and thousands of people visit these places every year.
Sukhna Lake is a gem of Chandigarh. People around the Chandigarh love to spend their time in this place with friends. It is situated under a range of Shivalik Hills and spread over a 3 km2 area. There is a track alongside the Lake (1.52 km long) where people like walking, running, and cycling. The Sunrise and Sunset views are mesmerizing, and on rainy days it is a feast to the eyes.
At Sukhna Lake there is a cafeteria where people love to eat and there is also a play zone for kids to play. People also like to do boating in the lake with total safety measures. This place is considered as one of the best places to visit in Chandigarh.
Rock Garden is a masterpiece created by a man named Nek Chand 18 years of time. He created many idols like dolls, boys, girls, and animals with the wasted materials and turned them into beautiful structures. This garden is spread across 12 acres of land and different type of wonders is everywhere.
Even though his work was illegal in the first place but he got government authorization with the public’s opinion and help. Though creating these things was just his hobby but he gave inspiration to people about recycling old and wasted materials. This is a must-place to watch if you are in Chandigarh.
- Gurudwaras and Temples: There are many famous Gurudwaras and Temples in Chandigarh where people go to worship the Lord and forget their worries. The most visited gurudwaras are Gurudwara Shri Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib, Gurudwara Sri Nanaksar Sahib, Gurudwara Sahib Patshahi Dasvin, Gurudwara Sri Amb Sahib Patshahi Satvi, and many more. The famous temples are ISKON Temple, Sri Karthikeya Swamy, Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Saketri Shiva Temple, Shri Mata Mansa Devi Temple, Shri Mata Chandi Devi Temple, etc. These places are the most visited places in Chandigarh. People from nearby places also visit them for their worship.
- Markets: There is a flock of various types of markets in Chandigarh. Every sector contains a market of showrooms or shops. But there are some markets that are famous for their names in Chandigarh. Some of the famous markets are as follows – Shastri Market of Sector 22, Palika Bazaar of Sector 19, Hanuman Market of Phase 3A, Krishna Market of Sec. 41, Ganesh Market of sec. 24 c, Janta Market of 3b1, Sector 15 Market, Sector 35/d Market, Kamla Market of Phase 1, and many more to go.
In these markets, you can buy anything you may need. From Hair accessories to Shoes, Dresses to suits, Men formal suits to T-shirts, Wedding dresses to phone accessories everything is available in these markets at reasonable rates. Various quality and prices of things are available to shop.
Some markets contains famous National and International brands. That is Market of 3b2, phase 5, and Phase 7. These markets contain a wide range of high-quality branded things. Be sure to visit these markets.
- Fun Zones: Chandigarh is not only rich in Gardens, Museums, or Markets but also in places where you can have fun with your children and friends. It has many places where youngsters like to spend their days playing fun games. Some places are ELante Mall fun zone, VR Punjab Mall Fun City, Funcity for kids Sector 118, Fun Rider sector 9, etc. There are also waterparks and fun zone in Chandigarh and nearby places are Aqua Village Water Park, Queenz Land Water Park, Fun city waterpark, Thunder Zone Amusement and Water Park, etc.
The city Chandigarh is full of surprise packages with tons of places to visit. This city is full of attractive places and things that are a feast to the eyes and peace to the heart. You can relax in the gardens, gain knowledge in the museums, enjoy your day with your family in Malls and Fun zones, teach your kids about the environment and animals in different sanctuaries and a zoo, do a lot of shopping in the markets, last but not the least get the blessings of lords in Gurudwaras and Temples.
So if you are planning a visit make sure to visit Chandigarh. We hope this blog helps you in learning new things about Chandigarh. We have listed the best places to visit in Chandigarh in this blog.