Toy Train Ride Kasauli
Taking a trip on the historic UNESCO World Heritage Kalka-Shimla Toy Train ride is like traveling back in time. The railway, built by the British in 1903 to provide access to the summer capital of Shimla is one of the most scenic train journeys in India. It enlivens passengers as it gradually winds its way steeply upwards along the narrow track, through the rugged mountain and pine forests.
The starting point of Toy train Kasauli is Dharampur railway station and drops at the train drops at Barog railway station. Get down at Barog Station and trek to the main road which is just 0.4 km from the station. One can board a bus or taxi back to Kasauli from the main road.
There are certain things you should keep in your mind during your ride in Toy Train Kasauli:
- You should pack light cotton clothes and sunscreen if you are travelling in summer. Also, consider packing comfortable walking shoes and sunglasses.
- If you are travelling during monsoon season, carry waterproof jackets, light woollens and trekking shoes/boots
- Do not miss carrying a camera because the toy train ride will surprise you with some awe-inspiring views
- The timings of train departure are fixed so be there on time
- You should take care of your belongings by yourself
- Consumption of heavy food or alcoholic beverages are not allowed before taking the ride
- In case of bad weather conditions, activity may get cancelled or aborted but an alternative activity will be provided by the local operator.
The toy train ride costs INR 300 per person and gets the chance to watch the train passing through a market, tunnels, gorges, pine forests and hilly little hamlets.
Although you can enjoy the Kasauli Toy train throughout the year the ideal time for this ride is from April to June and then again from September to November when there are less rain and pleasant weather.